A number of experts call our age as the age of the brain. The age when the brain was most exalted. Not only is it marked by the scrutiny of neuro-science (human brain science) by many people, but also because most advances in science and technology are driven by the brain. Especially the left brain (neocortex) which tends to be logical, empirical and systematic. Much progress has been born from here. There are also many setbacks starting from here. Some examples are the terrorist bombs and the disruption of the world by artificial intelligence. In fact, from ancient times until now, every time a person mentions his identity (for example: “I was born in Bali”) his hand always touches the part of the body that is close to the heart. Never seen a human touch the brain and head every time he mentions his identity. An instinctive language (subconscious mind) that is rarely read by many people. From here the incompatibility of the brain and heart begins.
The brain wants to be smart, the heart longs to be patient. The brain wants to study in college, the heart longs for the holy book. The brain likes to be called better than other people, the heart is happy in a humble way. The brain is the language of intelligence, the heart is the language of kindness. The brain likes to build walls of separation, heart loves to build bridges that beautify life. The brain worships the truth, the heart constantly longs for wholeness. That’s how the human brain and heart have been out of sync for a long time. From this also arises the things that are not beautiful. From inside conversations which are full of poison, tension, guilt and giving birth to various diseases. From physical pain to mental illness. From families that separated until lives that are burning and leads to suicide. Before those tragedies visit your life, it is that good from the beginning to learn to align the brain with the heart. Once the brain and heart are relatively in tune, there many impossible things can become possible.
Cleaning all travel barriers
The first and main obstacle that should be cleared from the start, the brain, especially the left brain (neocortex), can’t tell which is reality, which is not. The brain only understands white if there is black, understands night if there is day, understands good when there is bad. In other words, the brain can only understand through dualities such as wrong-right, suffering-happiness. Instead, reality grows beyond any duality. No matter how deep a person meditates, there will always be waves of sadness and joy. No matter how close a man is to God, he will also pass the waves of insults. Sadly, although reality grows beyond duality, the human brain has been conditioned for thousands of years to only understand in the birdcage of duality.
That is why, in the old way of meditation, people are always guided to stop identifying with waves, to learn to be the ocean. Original language: “Acknowledge the waves, stay as the ocean”. Pay attention to people who are not touched by meditation. Once you experience negative things, your first reaction is to judge yourself or judge others. After judging, then they want to get rid of things that are not positive. Yet just as nature cannot get rid of the night, roses cannot get rid of the thorns, humans cannot get rid of negative things. And the more you try to get rid of it, the more negative things will come, and the more frequent you visit them in the form of bad memories, anger without cause, etc. That is why, on the old path of meditation friends are guided through a simple but deep approach: “Accept, flow, smile”. In order for the brain in particular to come out of the old conditioning of always choosing positive over negative. Try to surf over the negative and positive waves. Understand that all is part of the same dance of perfection. The surfboard is called a smile.
Provision steps for all friends
After making sure the barriers inside are cleared, friends can learn to step in harmony with the brain and heart. Here are some suggested steps.
- With the same spirit with an old holy book, it is very important for us to learn to forgive. Without perseverance and sincerity to forgive, humans are prone to trapped in the world of the left brain which is full of walls that separate: “I was right, other people are wrong. I am a victim of other bad people ”. The beauty of forgiving, it broke down the walls that separate us from others. Because of the importance of forgiveness, a number of colleges such as the University of Utrecht are even researching the beautiful effects of forgiveness. One conclusion, the success of forgiving makes someone more productive in life. In the world of meditation there has long been a conclusion, forgiveness helps brain waves evolve towards deltas and gamma.
- Smile is another approach to aligning the brain with the heart. This is not only confirmed by holy books, it is also confirmed by some university research. One of the leading figures in this matter is a professor of microbiology from Japan named Prof. Kazuo Murakami. In his lovely book “The Switch”, Murakami clearly and emphatically mentions, a smile is a very convincing light switch on the inside. For those who have never tried to heal themselves with a smile, this may sound strange. But for a friend who has long grown on the path of smiles, Murakami’s conclusion was correct. Initially a smile was just curved lips. Then it grows into a looser grip on the left brain. It is not impossible that a smile can harmonize the brain with the heart. Pay attention to the Light bearers in our day. From Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela to HH Dalai Lama. His smile is different. One reason is because there is a harmony between the brain and the heart there.
- The spiritual Compassion family has long been guided to be grateful. Even on the Compassion family social media network, there is no day without an encouragement to be grateful. For many more years. The main reason is that gratitude is also a way to align the brain with the heart. When you are grateful, you are telling your brain that you have received what you want. As a result, the brain not only releases hell hormones like cortisol, it releases growth hormones like oxytocyn and dopamine. Because the biochemical reactions of the brain are the place of encounter between body, mind, feelings and spirit, gratitude not only harmonizes the brain and heart, but also harmonizes and heals the body, mind and spirit.
- After being quarantined by the long crisis of the pandemic, not a few friends in the Compassion family yearn to meet and sing together. There is a different energy that is present when we meet while singing. This is felt by many friends. Psychological language is energy of joy. Chanting carries an energy of joy inward. A very balancing energy. Especially in this cycle of time where humans are dominated by feelings of sadness and failure. For that reason, it is worth contemplating how to harmonize the brain and heart by singing a lot. In-depth studies of happiness shows, people whose seeds of happiness are healthy tend to sing when alone and love to sing since childhood.
- Many people ask why my spiritual family named Compassion. One of the reasons for its importance, compassion is also a great power to align the brain with the heart. Besides the power of the guard that was very great in this realm. For that, whenever you meet anything and anyone, ask inwardly: “What is this person’s suffering? How can you ease the burden of their suffering? At least dont add any new suffering to them”. As a memory refreshment for friends, the poor are suffering from lack of basic necessities, the rich also suffers because they are afraid of losing their wealth, the people in the middle level suffer a lot because they are full of competition.
- Service is another way of aligning the brain with the heart. As the Compassion family experienced first-hand, our years of service have brought a lot of pain. Sometimes we even nearly lost our lives. But once cultivated inside, service beautifies our inner soul garden. Sincere service not only aligns the brain with the heart, but also the body, mind and spirit.
- In some traditions many old people love mantras, mantra also plays a role in synchronizing the brain with the heart. Of course if the person concerned have an absolute faith in it. Because the Compassion family is an interfaith (universal) family, it is worth contemplating every time you want to sleep, just wake up in the morning, want to eat (drink) and get other blessings whisper this beautiful mantra: “I am a very deep gratitude”. Every time you go to the mirror, whisper this mantra to the pair of eyes that you see in the mirror: “I love you just the way you are”.
- When doing anything with anyone – especially when meditating – learning to connect neatly with the gap. From the pause (gap) between two breaths, to the pause between two sounds, to the pause between two memories. This beautiful path allows us to enter the quantum realm. What is often called the place that make all things possible. Physicist David Bohm’s pupils called it an infinite potential. Humans can enter the realm of unlimited potential. It is difficult to explain it intellectually, it can only be attain thru practices.
- Above all, guide yourself to grow on a daily basis by integrating balance and connectedness. It’s the Compassion family medicine that has healed countless friends. As a practical matter, use every discomfort to step back into balance. If feeling bored inside the house, then just walk outside. When it is too hectic in the material world, learn to be more spiritual. With regard to connectedness, the main means is called a beautiful thank you prayer with a grateful heart. This combination also harmonizes the brain with the heart.
Sometimes people ask, what are the signs of a human being whose brain and heart are beginning to harmonize. There are a number of signs of course. The adaptability of a person to be always stay balance in life is relatively high. Where there is a problem, there will be a way out. Where there are questions, there will be answers. The next sign, the body is easy to be healthy, the journey of the soul is easy to survive. A person’s creative energy also tends to increase. Here and there appeared coincidences that were rich in meaning. Above all, peace is no longer a distant goal. Peace accompanies you every step of the way.
Photo by Micheile Henderson on unsplash