It has been written a long time ago in many old Tantric holy books this beautiful message: “Suffering is like a dry leaf. Sacred teachings are like sunlight. Devotion to the true Master is a magnifying glass placed between the two. So that the dry leaves of suffering can be burn out.” The following are guidelines for close friends in doing Namaskara (a form of devotion).
- Cultivate a strong belief in the subject being worshiped. Worshipping a living teacher is emphasized here because he is still alive in the same human realm. So the possibility of connection is higher. This belief is important because without highest faith, the recovery power of Namaskara would be weak. In the language of modern science, it increases the placebo effect.
- In front of the subject being worshiped, reflect on all of the mistakes that have been made. In order to be thoroughly cleaned by Namaskara practices. Especially the mistakes that can make our soul journey fall dangerously.
- Whisper in front of the subject being worshiped a series of promises that you will never to repeat the same mistake ever again. Even if you accidentally repeat it, quickly realise it and do namaskara back again. Remember, learning to read and write in elementary school takes 6 years to complete. Learn to be diligent and patient to yourself.
- Reread compassion prayers as a self reminder. All creatures have been our mothers in previous lives. The evil one purifies us. The good one is a mirror of the beauty of our inner heart. Revive the intention to invite them to join Namaskara so that they can become purified too. At the same time making the Namaskara effect more noble. Not only you are being purified, all beings are also being purified.
- The steps above are done in kneeling position. Then when standing, place your hands on the top of the crown chakra as a symbol of placing the Master on the head sitting on Padma flowers. Then worship him with all your thoughts, words and actions.
- So before the body is put to lay on the ground, put your both hands and place them between your eyebrows while whispering the mantra “Aum”. As a symbol of worshiping Master with all your thoughts.
- Put your palms together and place them in front your throat chakra while whispering the “Ah” mantra. It is a symbol of worshiping Master with all your speeches.
- The joining palm is now placed on the heart chakra while chanting the “Hum” mantra (pronounced Hung). As a sign of worshiping Master with all your actions.
- Along with the movement to put the body to lay on the ground, before the body reaches the ground, chant the mantra “Om Vajra Sattva Hum” to clean up all mistakes through speech. And remember to imagine inviting all beings in the lower, middle, upper realms (from hell, demons, animals, viruses, trees, humans, etc.) to come to worship too.
- Once the whole body fully touches the ground (2 feet, 2 hands and forehead), chant the mantra “Nammo Gurubyah” (I take refuge to the Master) 3 times, then back to the standing position. This movement is done repeatedly in accordance with the ability (stamina) of the body. It is better while doing every namaskara move, we also invite one realm to do Namaskara together. For example, in the first Namaskara, we invites the hell realm to do Namaskara. In the second round of Namaskara, we invites the demon realm to do Namaskara too. And so on.
- When finished, offer the blessings of Namaskara and blessings of kindness in 3 different times (then, now, later) to the subject of offerings (the true Master). Imagine a true Master in the form of a vast ocean. Your offering is like a drop of water poured there. In this way, your offering will never disappear (forfeited). It is always be stored in a vast ocean. Wherever you are born later, you will be awaken by the offerings that you have made.
Hope this teaching be useful for all close friends. May all beings be healthy and safe.
Author: Guruji Gede Prama
Photo courtesy of FB Dupa Toh Langkir account